I am constantly seeking strong candidates with a background in computer science, information security, electronic engineering or computer engineering (knowledge of cryptography is desirable, but not essential) to join my team of PhD students. I am particularly interested in supervising high calibre PhD candidates to work in the following areas:
- Secure Application Execution
- Trusted Execution Environments
- Avionics and Drone Security
- Automotive Security
- Secure Firmware Updates
- Industrial Control Systems
- Video/Computer Game Anti-cheating Mechanisms
- Data Provenance
- Blockchain technologies for transport, payment, healthcare and IoTs
- Fault Attacks for Virtual Machines in Embedded Platforms
- Mobile Devices and Platform security
- Digital Health
- Machine-to-Machine (M2M)
- Processor and Micro-controller Security
- Embedded Device Security
- Security and Privacy Issues in Crowd based Cloud Computing
- Security and Trust for Swarm Intelligence Architectures
- Gait Based Authentication for Mobile Devices
- Financial Systems, Payment Cards, Blockchain Technologies
- Cyber Physical Systems for Security Critical Services
Funding for PhD students is available through the Royal Holloway Centre for Doctoral Training in Cyber Security. For a proposed PhD topic (feel free to suggest alternatives) please follow this link: http://www.findaphd.com/search/projectDetails.aspx?PJID=44472. The ideal candidate should have proficient practical skills (such as experience in software development), and good communication and team working skills. A strong interest in information security problems that aim to bridge theory and practice in embedded systems, IoTs, trusted execution environments, mobile devices, smart cards and RFIDs is desirable.
Additional funding maybe available through the SCC sponsors. If you have a 2.1 or a first-class BSc degree and/or a MSc with distinction in computer science, information security or electronic/computer engineering, and you are interested in one of the above research topics, please do get in touch.
I will be happy to consider self-funded/sponsored PhD opportunities.
Please note that currently we have no funding for internships. I will be happy to discuss self-funded internship opportunities on specific, mutually agreed and well-defined research topics.